Happy Tuesday everyone! I hope you all had a lovely and relaxing long weekend. Today I have the darling Katie from Lovebird Productions, sharing some tips on how to choose your first dance song. I just have to tell you guys for a sec how awesome Katie is. When I recently lost my job, Katie sent me possibly the sweetest e-mail I have ever received. It was filled with kind and encouraging words, my favorite of which were the following: “You are Colleen. You are a blogger. You have excellent taste in music. You bless others lives. You are a Christian woman. You are a leader. You are a lover of others. You have a big heart. You are going to continue to do great things.” It totally made my eyes well up – and we have never even met in real life! So needless to say, I think she’s pretty fantastic. Thanks for everything Katie, including sharing with us today!
Hello beautiful brides! My name is Katie from Lovebird Productions. I am beyond grateful to be sharing with you all today!
Sigh. The first dance. A time to celebrate your nuptials, exhale after all the wedding planning and mark the beginning of your new life together. It also spotlights your first moments as husband and wife. No pressure, right? So how you do you decide on the perfect song?
Don’t give yourself any worry lines, friends. I am here to help and offer a few tips and ideas that can help you decide on that perfect song!
1. Special Memories. Think back through all the wonderful dates and events you have attended as a couple. Did you dance to any fun songs? Show off your extraordinary moves? Old memories of past dances are a great way to help when picking your song. The first slow song my husband and I danced to (when dating) was Norah Jones Come Away With Me. Ultimate Love Song. You do not have to use your first dance but it can point you in the right direction.
2. Favorite Artist. Start with the music you listen to most. Whether you like country or soft rock, look through your favorite artist’s songs to see if there is something that you really enjoy. Your every day music lifts your spirits and gets you through your work. It will provide guidance for your final choice.
3. Write it down. I always hear a song on the radio or a commercial that I like but can never remember it later. Since starting this ole wedding videography business anytime I hear a song I love I write it down or make a note in my phone immediately. You should try this too!
4. Be true to yourself. Keep in mind the style of your ceremony and reception. Not that this has to determine your first dance but it can help! If you are having a traditional church reception, jamming out to hip-hop probably is not the best idea. Make sure that your song reflects your personalities as a couple and fits your wedding’s theme. Your song selection should make you happy and excited!
5. Research. Search the Internet, wedding books and magazines. There are ideas everywhere just waiting to be found!
6. Ask others. Don’t be afraid to poll your friends and family for help. You do not have to tell them the winner but you can ask them for their suggestions. They may think of something that didn’t cross your mind!
7. Dance it Out! Probably my favorite tip! When you and your significant other have narrowed the list down to a handful of songs, take the time to try dancing to them all. Not only is this fun but you can also practice for the big day!
These are some simple tips to help the process of finding your perfect first dance song. Stay true to your personality and enjoy your first moments as husband and wife! Thank you all for letting me share! I hope you have a great day!